Hey! Played a bit of this on my channel!
Dreams of Fire (jam version)
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Dreams of Fire is a simple puzzle game with a twist: There is 2D world and a 3D world! Both worlds effect each other, and must be used to get through the puzzles. Can you make it through all 10 levels?
Dreams of Fire was made for Godot Community Jam 2018! You can find the other entries to the jam here!
The source code for Dreams of Fire can be found here on Github.
I did not create the following assets:
- The music is public domain, and was download from the public domain folder on GameSounds.xyz
- Mountains-of-christmas is licensed under the Apache License, and was downloaded from Fontsquirrel
- OpenSans is licensed under the the Apache License, and was downloaded from Fontsquirrel
- The pallet used for the 2D and 3D art is Endesga and was downloaded from Lospec
The rest of the assets were created by me (TwistedTwigleg) and can be found on the Github repository.
I have only tested the Windows exports. If there is any issues/bugs please let me know in the comments below!
* Changed level 06 so it can be completed without having to follow an exact path/solution.
* Increased the animation speeds on the 2D/fire character.
* Added grounded directional movement to the 2D/fire character. Now you can move while on the ground!
* Added zooming in and out using the mouse wheel for the 3D/ice character.
* Increased the FOV for the 3D/ice character.
* Changed how the camera works for the 3D/ice character. Now it uses 3D physics so that camera does not clip through the environment.
* Increased the camera FOV for the 3D/ice character.
* Added configurable controls, which can be changed in game from the title screen.
* Changed some of the in game text to reflect recent changes.
* Removed some of the default input bindings. Unfortunately I had to do this to make reconfigurable controls.
* Updated the project to use Godot 3.0.4
* Changed the controls for restarting the level. Previously it was F and Control, now it is Backspace and Delete.
* Removed the ability to increase gravity for the fire character when pushing down using WASD or arrow keys. May add this back later, but I think it was causing a bug and it was a unused feature and unmentioned, so I removed it
* Fixed various typos for the labels in both the fire dimension and the ice dimension
* Changed the labels text to reflect the changes in controls, also added a note about jumping by pushing the up arrow or the W key (Not a new feature, I just forgot to mention it in game)
* Resized all of the labels in the fire dimension (2D) to they all have the same sizing.
* Moved some of the labels so they are easier to read.
* Redid the crystal position track in level 4.1 (the 'secret' level), which will hopefully fix the game freezing bug.
* Slowed the animation in level 4.1 down a bit, so it is slightly easier to get through
* Removed all of the shadows from the directional lights in all of the 3D levels. They were not being used (due to the viewport having a shadow atlas size of zero) and when I fixed it they did not look good. I may add this later, but I do not have the time to tweak them right now, and adding shadows would probably break the rules while the voting period is going on.
* Initial release!
- Update 0.2.0Jul 13, 2018
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
This was a really neat game! The puzzle interaction between the 2D world and the 3D world was simple, but well designed. The two music tracks for both worlds fits really well for their respective worlds. The 3D world character kinda freaked me out at first but it's rather charming after a bit, haha.
I think the controls could be improved a little. One button (instead of two) to restart the level away from the other keys for jump and dash would be really nice, as I ended up accidently restarting the level just as I was about to complete it. There's also a bug in the 2D world where the character will get stuck in the ground if trying to jump and dash at the same time, forcing the player to restart the level. The 3D camera angles and lightning need some fixing as well.
Otherwise, it's a really short and simple puzzle game! I enjoyed my time with it! I also happen to make a video with my experiences! Keep up the great work!
Thanks NLAigis! I really enjoyed watching the video!
I agree that the controls need fixing, and if possible I will change the controls in a bug fix. If not, then I will definitely change the controls (and add configurable controls) once the voting period of the jam is over. My apologizes that the controls caused so many issues for you, especially right when you were at the end of the level.
I am not sure on what is causing the 2D character getting stuck, but I will look into it!
Unfortunately I cannot fix the 3D camera angles until the voting period is over (as personally I feel changing the camera angle does not count as a bug fix), but after the voting period is over, I will look into finding a better camera angle.
As for the 3D lighting, I'm not sure what is causing the problem. The light used is a directional light (Godot's version of lights like the sun) attached to the scene, not the player. However, it very much looks like it is attached to the player on your video. Do you mind sharing which OS you were using to record the video? I developed the game on Windows 10 64 bit, but maybe I missed something... Regardless, I'll look into it!
Good Job! This is really a good idea for a puzzle game. I find also the connection between the characters cute :D (something cold dreaming of something hot)
I thought the connection was cute too! It was nice to work on a more cute themed game, since most of the time I tend to make more serious, dystopian themed games.
This is well done. Controls took getting use to at first. I didn't yet play through all 10 levels but the first few minutes was great.